How do I export my pay run figures to Xero?
Xero is an online accounting system provided by Xero Ltd, based in New Zealand. If you have an account with Xero, you can transfer your payroll figures directly to their system, to save retyping them.
The easiest way to send your figures to Xero is using the Xero Bill API, which you can set up as follows.
- Click the 'Accounting' option.
- Click 'Edit Details' and select the option for 'Xero Bill API'.
- Click 'Set to Defaults' or fill in the fields manually.
- Optional: If you put the code for your bank into the 'Bank Code for Net Pay' box, it will split the invoice into payments in Xero, making your reconciliation easier.
- Click 'Connect' and follow the on-screen instructions. You will be redirected to the Xero site, where you should click the 'Authorise' button.
To transfer your figures:
- Use The Payroll Site to calculate your pay run as normal and click 'Confirm Payments'.
- Click the 'Export to Accounting' button.
- Click 'Create Accounting Transaction'.
- Click 'Send to Xero', which will create a bill in your Xero account.
Xero shows a padlock symbol next to some accounts. These are system accounts - do not use them. You can also transfer figures to Xero using the Journal API.